Jun 29, 2011

Major upgrades to revamp northern suburbs rail travel

Major upgrades to four key Adelaide northern suburbs railway stations worth almost $40m will give train commuters new, sleek facilities and a safer ride to work or home.

As the Federal and State Government-funded move towards electrification of the rail network ramps up, Transport Minister Patrick Conlon has this week announced the awarding of construction contracts to upgrade stations at Gawler, Elizabeth South and Elizabeth, on top of an investment to revamp Munno Para station.

“I am pleased to announce that Yorke Civil Pty Ltd/Coleman Rail have won the contract to revitalise the Elizabeth station,” Minister Conlon said.

The $15.7m Elizabeth Railway Station Upgrade Project will give commuters:

  • A fully-enclosed overpass with lifts and stairs, improving commuter access and pedestrian crossings of the rail corridor;
  • An architecturally designed canopy shelter;
  • New platforms designed to minimise the step and gap between platforms and trains;
  • A bus interchange facility integrated into the eastern platform to improve commuter transfer between train and bus services;
  • Improved lighting and Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) surveillance;
  • Passenger information display systems on each platform to inform customers about train running times;
  • Landscaping which incorporating the latest water saving techniques.

Minister Conlon said that the $9.8m contract to upgrade the Gawler and Elizabeth South stations had been awarded to Baulderstone Pty Ltd.

The $13.8m upgrade of the Munno Para station will be completed in the same time frame as the other revamps.

Minister Conlon said that on average, more than 31,500 passengers use the Adelaide rail network each weekday, with 36.7% of commuters using the Gawler line.

“To help further increase patronage, the State Government has also budgeted $12m to build a ‘turn back’ facility at Elizabeth Station and $11m for additional works on rail line embankment reinforcement, railway signalling, culverts and bridge upgrades,” Minister Conlon said.

Minister Conlon said the Gawler stations upgrade would be completed by early 2012, while track upgrade works would begin in September and were expected to be completed in approximately seven months.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said the upgrades would be funded from an allocation of $293.5m to upgrade the Gawler rail line.

“The funding includes money for track works and electrification of the Gawler line, which are essential to enticing northern suburbs residents to make the switch from their cars to public transport,” Mr Albanese said.

“These works are vital to ensuring that Adelaide keeps pace with public transport infrastructure well into the 21st century and we are proud to be playing an integral role in implementing these exciting projects.”

Contact Anthony

(02) 9564 3588 Electorate Office

Email: [email protected]

Important items

Enrol to vote Parliament of Australia Australian Labor Party Clean Energy Future