Dec 5, 2017

Turnbull rewrites history on NBN

Today in Question Time, I asked Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to explain his failure to deliver his promise to give all Australians access to the National Broadband Network (NBN) by the end of 2016, given that the NBN announced last week it would halt the rollout to two million premises because the hybrid coaxial fibre technology was not working.

Mr Turnbull denied having made the undertaking.

This is clearly at odds with the record from when I was the Communications Minister and he was the Shadow Minister.

The Coalition’s official 2013 policy document, written by Mr Turnbull, said: “The Coalition will deliver fast, affordable and reliable broadband years sooner than Labor.  …everyone in the nation should have access to broadband with download data rates of between 25 and 100megabits per second by 2016…

After the election, on September 3, 2013, Mr Turnbull, as Communications Minister said: “Under our policy by 2016 everybody will have access to very fast broadband and nobody will have access to less than 25mbps.”

Mr Turnbull’s attempts to rewrite history will not change the fact that he has failed to deliver what he promised.

Because of his failures, Australian businesses are being denied access to broadband access required to compete in the 21st century.

People who were promised high-speed broadband and have been let down include more than 40,000 households in Bennelong now facing an uncertain delay as a result of the NBN stopping because it does not work properly.

The Prime Minister also admitted the Government has no idea how many additional hundreds of millions of dollars stopping the NBN will cost.

Contact Anthony

(02) 9564 3588 Electorate Office

Email: A.Albanese.MP@aph.gov.au

Important items

Enrol to vote Parliament of Australia Australian Labor Party Clean Energy Future