$1.9 million to fix five road black spots in Lingiari
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
August 17 2009
The Rudd Labor Government will invest a further $1.9 million to fix five dangerous black spots on Territory roads, Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development, Anthony Albanese, and Member for Lingiari, Warren Snowdon, announced today.
The projects have been approved as part of the Government’s Economic Stimulus Plan. They build on $497,000 already provided to fix black spots in the electorate of Lingiari this year.
Mr Albanese said this funding showed the Rudd Labor Government’s commitment to improving road safety at the same time as supporting jobs and local economies.
“The Northern Territory has the highest accident fatality rate in Australia. We are determined to improve safety for residents and heavy vehicles that carry freight across the Territory.”
The five projects approved in Lingiari are:
- $650,000 to seal shoulders on Ilparpa Road between Stuart Highway to Bullen Road, Alice Springs;
- $400,000 to install a roundabout on Girraween and Anglesey Roads, Girraween;
- $390,000 to install channelised right and left turn lanes at the intersection of Jabiru Drive and Kakadu Lodge Access Road, Jabiru;
- $280,000 to widen the carriageway, seal shoulder and provide turn lanes on the 120 metre section at the Post Office Entrance on Wagait Tower Road, Wagait Beach; and
- $250,000 to widen curves and seal shoulders on the Florina Road between Zimmin Drive to Municipal Boundary, Katherine.
Mr Snowdon said that the projects were assessed and recommended by a panel of independent road safety experts such as the Australian Trucking Association of NT, Local Government Association of NT and the Automobile Association of NT.
“This is a great outcome for our local communities and I look forward to safer roads for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.”
Anyone can suggest a location or a section of road for black spot funding using a nomination form that can be downloaded from www.nationbuildingprogram.gov.au.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.