$2.23 million to help revitalise Albion Park town centre
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 5 2009
Anthony Albanese, Minister for Infrastructure and Mark Arbib, Parliamentary Secretary for Government Service Delivery today announced the Rudd Labor Government would offer $2.23 million to help revitalise the town centre in Albion Park in the Illawarra.
The project, funded by the Rudd Government’s Economic Stimulus Plan, involves transforming the retail and commercial centre of Albion Park to encourage business investment and support local jobs.
Senator Arbib made the announcement today with Member for Throsby, Jennie George.
The Government is funding nearly two-thirds of this $3.63 million project, as part of our $800 million Community Infrastructure Program under the Economic Stimulus Plan – the largest one-off investment in local infrastructure in Australia’s history.
The project, managed by the Shellharbour City Council, will modernise the local town centre and make it a more attractive place to invest, work and raise a family.
It will also encourage economic development by capturing a tourist market that currently uses the town as a thoroughfare.
Federal funding will contribute to the revitalisation including:
- Installing underground power and new lighting on the main street;
- Upgrading footpaths;
- Installing street furniture; and
- Landscaping and planting of advanced trees along the main street.
The revitalised centre is also intended to become a focal point for local families and residents, and provide opportunities for local events and recreation.
This funding comes on top of other community projects in the Shellharbour region funded under the Rudd Government’s Economic Stimulus Plan, including:
- $899,000 for lighting and landscape works in the Myimbarr Community Park;
- Fixing four road black spots, including at the intersection of Benson and College Avenues; and
- $200,000 for refurbishment of learning areas at Shellharbour Public School and $200,000 for the construction of a hard court facility and car park at Shellharbour Anglican College.
Nearly 70 per cent of the stimulus package is infrastructure, with construction projects already underway. For more detail on the Economic Stimulus Plan visit www.economicstimulusplan.gov.au