$2.26 million towards Mackey Park refurbishment
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 1 2009
Federal Sports Minister Kate Ellis and Member for Grayndler Anthony Albanese today announced that the Rudd Labor Government will provide up to $2.26 million to help refurbish Mackey Park in Marrickville.
Ms Ellis made the announcement with Mr Albanese and Marrickville Mayor Sam Iskandar.
The federal funding will contribute substantially to the overall refurbishment project at Mackey Park, which is worth $2.5 million and proposed to include:
- Upgrade of sports fields to provide three soccer fields and one cricket field with sub-surface drainage, irrigation, sports turf and synthetic cricket pitch;
- Installation of 10 sports ground lights to meet current lighting standards for training;
- Installation of photovoltaic cells to offset the park lighting energy consumption;
- Refurbishment of the existing change-rooms and canteen in the amenities building, including providing disability access and change rooms for women and girls for the first time;
- Upgrade of the children’s playground and family recreation facilities including new play equipment, play surfacing, shade structure, furniture and landscaping; and
- Construction of a circuit path for recreational walking and to link to local pedestrian networks.
"This funding will make sure that local young people have a high quality park for weekend and after-school sport," said Mr Albanese.
"Projects like this also support local jobs and stimulate the local economy during the global economic recession."
The funding is part of the Government’s $800 million Community Infrastructure Program and builds on more than $490,000 in funding that the Rudd Labor Government has already delivered to Marrickville for four smaller-scale local projects this year.
Marrickville Mayor Sam Iskandar, Federal Sports Minister Kate Ellis and Anthony face up to players from the Marrickville Red Devils soccer club at Mackey Park.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.