$2.9 million towards Kingston regional soccer facility
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 1 2009
Anthony Albanese, Minister for Infrastructure and Local Government, has announced that the Rudd Labor Government would offer $2.9 million towards the new regional soccer facility at Kingston Heath Reserve at Heatherton in Melbourne.
The Rudd Government is contributing the lion’s share of funding for this $3.3 million project to improve soccer facilities in the Kingston City Council area.
This federal funding is part of the Rudd Labor Government’s $800 million Community Infrastructure Program – the largest one-off investment in local infrastructure in Australia’s history.
Through the Rudd Government’s economic stimulus package, we are investing in community infrastructure to support jobs and economies during the global recession.
The project will also deliver state-of-the-art artificial playing fields to cater for the increasing demand for soccer in Melbourne.
It is expected to include:
- Construction of two new synthetic pitches to replace grass soccer pitches;
- Improvements to the exterior of the existing Pavilion;
- Construction of a new car park for users of the facility;
- Installation of training lights and new electronic scoreboards to both pitches;
- Installation of new rainwater storage tanks for future irrigation needs;
- Provision of two new sets of coaches’ boxes;
- Perimeter landscaping an fencing; and
- Installation of a new access gate/ticket box.
Once completed, it will provide a sports field that meets national standards, as well as cater for more local sporting teams.
The funding announced today builds on nearly $490,000 that we have already delivered for five local community projects in the Kingston City Council area.
Nearly 70 per cent of the stimulus package is on infrastructure, with construction of projects already underway.
More than 3,000 projects are being funded by the Government’s Community Infrastructure Program across Australia to support jobs and benefit our local communities.