$800 million Hume Highway project reaches major milestone
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
October 30 2008
Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese, and NSW Minster for Roads, Michael Daley today announced the first section of the Hume Highway duplication project was now open to traffic.
Mr Albanese said the traffic switch was a major milestone for the federally funded project to duplicate 67 kilometres of the highway between the Sturt Highway and Table Top.
“The Hume Highway is the main freight route between Sydney and Melbourne, carrying over 20 million tonnes of road freight every year,” Mr Albanese said.
“I welcome the opening of the eight kilometres of new highway at Little Billabong, north of Holbrook and congratulate the Northern Hume Alliance for their commitment to this project.
“When complete, this $800 million upgrade will improve road safety and transport efficiency along this national highway.
Mr Daley said the new northbound lanes were now open to motorists and traffic was running smoothly under the new arrangements.
“Traffic in both directions has been switched on to the new carriageway, allowing work to start on the upgrade of the existing road, which will form the southbound lanes,” Mr Daley said.
“Work on the Hume Highway duplication project started in October of last year and it’s great to see major progress has already been made.
“I’m pleased to report that the project is on track to be finished by the end of next year, delivering better conditions for communities and industries along this major freight route.
“The bypasses at Tarcutta, Holbrook and Woomargama will then be the only sections of single carriageway on the highway between Sydney and Melbourne.
“They will be finished by the end of 2012,” Mr Daley said.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.