Australia 2020 Schools Summits: Grayndler forum
MEDIA RELEASE – The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
April 4 2008
Anthony Albanese, Federal Member for Grayndler, today held a forum for local schools – public and private, primary and secondary – at Ashfield Boys High, as part of the Australia 2020 Summit process.
The schools in Grayndler that attended the 2020 Schools summit were: Ashfield Boys’ High, Bethlehem College, Canterbury Boys’ High, Canterbury Girls’ High, Canterbury Public School, De La Salle College, Fort Street High, Kegworth Public School, Lewisham Public School, Marrickville High, Marrickville Intensive English Centre, St Colomba’s School Leichhardt North, St Vincent’s Primary, Ashfield, Stanmore Public School , Summer Hill Public School and Sydney Secondary College – all three campuses, Leichhardt, Balmain and Blackwattle.
All Australian primary and secondary schools were encouraged to host their own Schools Summits in the lead up to the Australia 2020 Summit in Canberra later this month.
A number of local schools took up the challenge and Mr Albanese invited them to present their ideas to him and to their peers, noting, “It is crucial that we provide opportunities like this for our young people – the citizens of the future.”
“I’m always impressed by the level of interest and commitment that our students show in meeting the challenges of the coming decades. Australia will be in good hands.”
The Schools Summits have offered a unique opportunity for students right around the country to make their views heard on the ten key themes of Australia 2020:
1. Future directions for the Australian economy – including education, skills, training, science and innovation
2. Economic infrastructure, the digital economy and the future of our cities
3. Population, sustainability, climate change and water
4. Future directions for rural industries and rural communities
5. A long-term national health strategy
6. Strengthening communities, supporting families and social inclusion
7. Options for the future of indigenous Australia
8. Towards a creative Australia: the future of the arts, film and design
9. The future of Australian governance
10. Australia’s future security and prosperity in a rapidly changing region and world.
The ideas, issues and questions raised through the Schools Summits will be taken forward to the Youth Summit, and from there to Australia 2020. Eleanor Butcher from Fort St High, who attended today’s Schools Summit, has been chosen as one of the Youth Summit Participants.
Mr Albanese also noted that seven Grayndler residents have been selected to participate in the Australia 2020 summit of Australia’s ‘best and brightest’. Two local residents are also off to the Youth Summit in Canberra.
More information on Australia 2020, the Youth Summit and the Schools Summits is available at http://www.australia2020.gov.au
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.