Aviation Security Screening review Advisory Group
The Hon Anthony Albanese
Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
June 4 2008
The new External Advisory Group assisting the Rudd Labor Government in its review of security screening at the nation’s airports has started its work – and will listen to the views and experiences of the travelling public.
The Rudd Labor Government is committed to reviewing aviation security arrangements in partnership with industry, creating a snapshot of current aviation security screening practices and their impacts.
The Review will look at:
- The design of screening points with a view to providing greater consistency across airports;
- The role of new technologies;
- Ways of improving the experience of passengers; and
- Other factors affecting the screening process such as training, retention and recruitment of airport security staff.
Our goal is to ensure that security measures keep pace with growing passenger numbers, the training needs of screening staff, recent regulatory changes and the expectations of the travelling public.
I thank the following highly experienced industry stakeholders for agreeing to join the External Advisory Group:
- Mr Grant Woods, General Manager Airport Operations, Sydney Airport Corporation Limited;
- Mr John Nahyna, General Manager Operations, Melbourne Airport;
- Mr Jeff Askew, Group General Manger, Security, Qantas Airways Pty Ltd;
- Mr Tom Roche, Managing Director, SNP Security;
- Mr David Blackwell, General Manager, Rockhampton Airport; and
- Mr Mark Everitt, General Manager, New Zealand Aviation Security Service.
The next meeting of the Group will be in late June and include a presentation on passenger feedback of existing airport screening. The presentation will be based on the findings of the face-to-face interviews and phone surveys conducted only last month.
Engaging and consulting with experts and key stakeholders is an essential part of the Review process. The Group will provide strategic input and advice to help deliver practical outcomes for government, industry and the travelling public.
Australia’s aviation security regime is among the best in the world – and to make sure this continues we are taking stock of our security screening processes and systems.
The Review is expected to be finalised by December 2008.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.