Budget delivers for Grayndler
The Hon Anthony Albanese
Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 14 2008
The Rudd Labor Government’s first Budget delivers for Grayndler.
“This Budget comprehensively delivers on the policies we took to the election,” said Anthony Albanese.
The Budget makes good on Labor election commitments, including major local projects.
There is $2 million in the Budget to manage storm water, reduce river pollution and improve water quality in the Cooks River.
“I am pleased the Budget has delivered on this project and look forward to seeing the positive effects on the Cooks River,” said Anthony Albanese.
Tigers’ fans, young people and the local community can look forward to using an upgraded Leichhardt Oval with Labor’s commitment of $3 million confirmed in the budget.
“The upgrade will mean the oval can be used by a range of local community and sporting groups.”
“We can all look forward to watching games at the upgraded oval whether it’s the Tigers or a local team,” said Anthony Albanese.
$14.5 million has also been provided for the noise insulation of Fort St High School.
An Early Learning and Child Care Centre will also be built in Grayndler. Funding for the centre was confirmed in the Budget.
“Assistance with child care is very important for families in Grayndler,” said Anthony Albanese.
The Budget also contains significant investment in Transport, Infrastructure, Health, Education and Climate Change solutions.
- Making Medicare Fairer – lifting the threshold for the Medicare Levy Surcharge from $50,000 to $100,000 for singles and from $100,000 to $150,000 for couples;
- Establishing a $10 billion Health and Hospitals Fund to pay for our long-term hospitals, medical technology and research facility needs;
- $62 million for the National Asian Languages and Studies in Schools Program;
- $11 billion for a special fund to secure Australia’s long-term education needs;
- $20 million for a feasibility study into the proposed Western Metro (Green Line) between Parramatta and the CBD;
- $20 billion to the Building Australia Fund, money for critical economic infrastructure such as roads, rail, ports and broadband;
- $2.3 billion on climate change with $500 million for a Renewable Energy Fund and $500 million for the Green Car Innovation fund;
- An Increase in the Childcare Tax Rebate from 30% to 50% with the capped payment increased from $4,354 to $7,500.
“This Budget puts billions into combating climate change and we are putting $20 million into a feasibility study of the Western Metro which would be a significant investment in public transport for the inner west”
“This Budget delivers on the issues that concern people in Grayndler. It delivers real solutions in Climate Change, Infrastructure, Healthcare and Education,” said Anthony Albanese.
Click here for a link to the Government’s Budget website:http://www.aph.gov.au/budget/
Further information can be found at the relevant Ministers’ websites.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.