Builders shortlisted for Mains and Kessels intersection upgrade
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
Minister for Infrastructure & Transport
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
January 27 2011
The start of work on a new intersection between Mains and Kessels Roads is edging closer following the shortlisting of two contractors for the task of designing and delivering this $300 million nation building project.
Federal Transport and Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said Baulderstone Queensland and Leighton Contractors had been selected to proceed to the next phase of the tendering process.
“Both contractors will now undertake preliminary planning and design work with the winning tender to be selected by mid 2011,” Mr Albanese said.
“The project will include a short underpass of Mains Road, improved turning and intersection lanes as well as new provisions for buses, pedestrians and cyclists.
“This project has only been made possible thanks to the record $3.8 billion currently being spent by the Gillard Labor Government to improve South East Queensland’s road and rail infrastructure – significantly more than what the former government spent in the entire State over a similar period of time.”
Queensland Mains Road Minister Craig Wallace said the Mains Road and Kessels Roads intersection upgrade aimed to reduce delays and improve travel times.
“The upgraded intersection will also provide a safer road environment for all road users,” Mr Wallace said.
“We all know how congested the intersection can be especially during peak times.
“This project is all about keeping Brisbane road users moving but also delivering a more connected and reliable road network to manage and cater for South East Queensland’s growing population.”
Mr Wallace said construction of the Mains Road and Kessels Roads intersection upgrade was due to commence in early 2012.
“Detailed design and further community engagement will be undertaken in 2011,” he said.
For more information about this project please call 1800 227 804 or email [email protected]