Chris Evans to speak at local immigration forum
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
September 2 2009
Labor Member for Grayndler, Anthony Albanese MP, will be hosting a community forum on immigration at 7.30 pm on Thursday 24th September at Marrickville Town Hall.
Senator the Hon. Chris Evans, the Federal Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, is the keynote speaker for the evening, and will be providing details of Labor’s progress in restoring a humane approach to Australia’s immigration system.
The era of inhumane policy positions on immigration, characterised by the Howard Government, ended with the election of the Rudd Labor Government.
In just over a year, the Rudd Labor Government has:
- Introduced legislation to waive all current detention debts owed to the Government by detainees;
- Reformed detention policy so that the Department of Immigration now adopts a risk-based approach to assess whether someone poses a danger to the community and should be detained;
- Strengthened its international humanitarian commitment with a $4.4 million increase in funding to the United Nations’ Refugee Agency;
- Implemented measures to reduce the exploitation of migrant workers on 457 Temporary Working Visas, thus ensuring that migrant labour is not used to undermine Australian wages and conditions;
- Increased the number of family reunion visas in the Migration Program to more than 60,000 per annum.
Seating is limited; please arrive early to ensure you receive a seat.
For further information please call Anthony’s office on (02) 9564 3588.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.