Feb 3, 2011

Consultation Continues on Mclaren Vale Overpass

Consultation Continues on Mclaren Vale Overpass

The Hon Anthony Albanese MP

Minister for Infrastructure & Transport

Leader of the House

Member for Grayndler

03 February 2011

Community consultation is set to begin on the proposed McLaren Vale overpass, a project which will reduce congestion and improve safety along Victor Harbor Road, particularly around the intersection with Main Road.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister, Anthony Albanese and South Australian Transport Minister, Patrick Conlon, said community interest had already driven development of this vital safety initiative.

“We want that involvement to continue. That’s why there will be two ‘open days’ later this week to give the local community yet another opportunity to have input into the project’s final design,” said Mr Albanese.

“Once built, this new overpass will improve driving conditions and reduce travel times for the 18,000 motorists that use the Victor Harbor Road daily.”

Open Days will be held at the McLaren Vale & Fleurieu Visitor Information Centre next Friday (4 February 2-4pm) and Saturday (5 February 12-3:30pm)

Mr Conlon said the project proposes transforming the current T-intersection into an overpass allowing traffic from McLaren Vale to merge safely with high speed traffic on the Victor Harbor Road.

“Both the Federal and SA governments have recognised the importance of an overpass at this busy junction on the Fleurieu Peninsula,” said Mr Conlon.

“We have already been talking to locals on concept development and now we want to hear from the community on the concept plan.

“This community consultation reaffirms our commitment to a genuine discussion with the South Australian community when it comes to our transport network.”

The new McLaren Vale Overpass is a jointly funded project, with the Gillard Labor Government contributing $14.4 million and the Rann Labor Government a further $3.6 million.