Contractors named for Tarcutta and Woomargama bypasses
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
April 7 2009
The full duplication of the Hume Highway is one step closer with the appointment of contractors to design and build two of the three remaining town bypasses.
The Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Anthony Albanese, and the NSW Minister for Roads, Michael Daley, today announced the alliance teams that will construct the bypasses of Tarcutta and Woomargama.
“Awarding these contracts now means that these two bypasses will be completed in late 2011 – some six months earlier than previously expected,” said Mr Albanese.
“This outcome has only been made possible thanks to the Rudd Labor Government’s decision to fast-track $490 million in funding as part of our nation building plans to support jobs during the current global economic recession.
“Together the two projects will employ up to 700 workers on site.
“Once completed, the new bypasses will cut travel times and make the highway safer for the thousands of motorists who use it every day.”
All up, the Rudd Labor Government is investing $950 million from its Nation Building Program to complete the duplication of the Hume Highway.
Mr Daley said planning for the bypasses is progressing and construction is expected to start later this year.
“The alliance team for the Tarcutta bypass comprises Leighton Contractors, Maunsell Australia, SMEC Australia and Coffey Geotechnics. They will design and construct approximately seven kilometres of dual carriageway to the west of Tarcutta,” said Mr Daley.
“Abigroup and Sinclair Knight Metz will join forces to form a second alliance team to deliver the nine kilometre bypass to the west of Woomargama village,” Mr Albanese said.
“Construction of these bypasses will deliver significant benefits to the communities of Tarcutta and Woomargama, taking up to 2,000 trucks a day off their local streets.
“Planning for the remaining bypass – Holbrook – is continuing, with the environmental assessment expected to be approved by the end of 2009.
“When complete, we’ll have a first-class dual carriageway highway from Sydney to Melbourne, improving safety and transport efficiency for all motorists,” Mr Daley said.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.