Feb 12, 2010

Contracts clear way for new works on Nagambie Bypass

Contracts clear way for new works on Nagambie Bypass

The Hon Anthony Albanese MP

The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,

Regional Development and Local Government

Leader of the House

Member for Grayndler

February 12 2010

A safer freeway route taking trucks and through-traffic away from the Nagambie town centre is on track for completion in 2012, with major works on the next phase of the new Nagambie Bypass set to start in coming weeks.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese and Victorian Roads and Ports Minister Tim Pallas today announced that Abigroup Contractors would construct the new 13.5 kilometre freeway-standard road east of the Nagambie township.

“The Rudd and Brumby Labor governments are working together to deliver this important piece of road infrastructure, with two multi-million dollar contracts now signed on this exciting project,” Mr Albanese said.

“Work on stage one – the duplication of the existing Goulburn Valley Highway north of Nagambie – started late last year. In fact, because of our decision to bring forward the necessary funding as part of our Economic Stimulus Plan, delivery of this important project is now running ahead schedule.

“This project is exactly what our Nation Building Program is all about, creating jobs today by building the transport infrastructure that will underpin our longer term economic prosperity.”

The Nagambie Bypass is jointly funded by the Federal Government as part of its Nation Building Program and the Victorian Government through the $38 billion Victorian Transport Plan.

Mr Pallas said the Nagambie Bypass would provide a long-term boost to local business, tourism and the economy.

“We are strengthening links between Melbourne, regional Victoria and our interstate capitals to support jobs and to help motorists spend less time on our roads and more time at home with family and friends,” Mr Pallas said.

Key features of the Nagambie Bypass include:

  • Freeway connections at Mitchellstown Road south of Nagambie and at Kirwans Bridge – Longwood Road north of Nagambie;
  • A new freeway overpass bridge at Racecourse Road;
  • A new bridge and upgrade of sections for Nagambie-Locksley Road; and
  • Two new rail overpasses.

“Once completed, the Nagambie Bypass will provide a missing link with drivers able to travel on a safer freeway-standard road from Melbourne to south of Shepparton,” Mr Pallas said.

“This safer and more efficient freight route will better-connect our rich fruit and vegetable growing regions in the Goulburn Valley with interstate and export markets via national highway links to Melbourne and Brisbane.

“More than 1900 trucks travel through the Nagambie town centre each day with road freight likely to double over the next 30 years.

“It is vital that we act now to both support industry and improve safety and enjoyment for people living in and visiting this beautiful region.”

The Nagambie Bypass will also boost road safety, with 18 casualty crashes recorded in recent years on the existing two-lane highway section being bypassed, including four fatalities.