Early Works Underway on Sapphire to Woolgoolga Duplication
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
January 12 2010
Preparations for the duplication of the Pacific Highway between Sapphire and Woolgoolga are in full swing, with the relocation of water mains now underway.
Today I visited the site to see first hand the extensive work being undertaken by Coffs Harbour City Council to prepare the site for the start of major construction activities in the second half of 2010.
We are determined to deliver this important upgrade as quickly as possible so as to improve safety and travel times along this 25 kilometre section of Highway. The early works now being undertaken by the Council will help make sure we are able to meet our ambitious construction timetable.
A preferred builder will be announced shortly, with the entire project expected to be open to traffic in 2013.
The duplication of the Highway between Sapphire and Woolgoolga is a jointly funded project, with the Federal Government contributing $610 million and the NSW Government a further $88.3 million.
All up, the Rudd Labor Government is investing $3.1 billion over six years to accelerate the duplication of the Pacific Highway – more than twice what our predecessors spent during their entire twelve years in office.
Key features of the project are:
- 25 kilometres of dual carriageway highway
- Interchanges at:
- Gaudrons Road/Split Solitary Road, Sapphire;
- Moonee Beach Road/Hoys Road, Moonee Beach;
- Fiddaman Road/Graham Drive South, Emerald;
- Graham Drive North/Hearnes Lake Road, south Woolgoolga; and
- Arrawarra Beach Road, Arrawarra.
- An upgraded local road between Sapphire and Woolgoolga, providing safer access for the community to local properties and an alternative route for school buses and motorists who do not want to use the highway.
For more information go to www.rta.nsw.gov.au/pacific or phone the project information line on 1800 636 363 (toll free).