FAIRER TAX REFORM FOR HARD WORKING FAMILIES IN GRAYNDLER
MEDIA RELEASE: Anthony Albanese – 13 May 2005
Labor will double the tax cuts for the eight out of ten Australian taxpayers who only received $6 a week from Costello’s Budget, said Anthony Albanese, Member for Grayndler.
Mr Albanese said, “The Howard Government has once again forgotten the hard working people of Grayndler – those nurses, teachers, tradesmen, labourers — the people raising our families — the 80 per cent of our taxpayers — the engine room of Australia. They received no tax cuts last year or this year. And in the next three, they get a measly $6 a week.”
Labor’s fairer tax reform is both balanced and fair.
Mr Albanese said Labor’s fairer tax package would:
• deliver up to a $9 weekly tax cut for those earning up to $25,000 — double the Government.
• deliver a minimum $12 tax cut for those earning from $25,000 to $70,000 — double the Government. And it would preserve the Government’s tax cut for people earning from $70,000 to $105,000.
• deliver $40 to people who earn $105,000 and above — two-thirds of the Government’s proposal.
“A worker or single income family in Grayndler on average weekly earnings ($50,000 p.a) will over the next four years gain $1,248 in tax cuts from the Howard Government. Under Labor’s plan, the same family would receive $2,184.
A dual income family in Grayndler on $85,000 will over the next four years gain $2,496 in tax cuts from the Howard Government. Under Labor’s plan, the same family would receive $4,368.”
Mr Albanese said Labor’s fairer tax plan will not put pressure on interest rates unlike the Howard Government’s plan.
A Beazley Labor Government will deliver to the people of Grayndler where the Howard Government has once again failed, by:
• Solving the skills shortage in Grayndler.
• Implementing a plan for rebuilding Australia’s infrastructure through Infrastructure Australia, and
• Providing some real incentive and reward hard work through fairer tax reform.
“Labor will take a stand of principle for ordinary people in the Grayndler Electorate and they’d expect no less,” Mr Albanese said.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.