Five Grayndler schools receive funding for major projects
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 8 2009
Federal Member for Grayndler Anthony Albanese today announced that five local schools in Grayndler will receive more than $8 million for major new infrastructure projects under Round One of the Primary Schools for the 21st Century (P21) program.
Mr Albanese said the program is delivering the second phase of the Rudd Government’s $14.7 billion Building the Education Revolution.
Schools to benefit under the funding include:
- Ferncourt Public School in Marrickville which will receive $2.5 million for a new hall, a covered outdoor learning area (COLA) and a canteen
- St Joan of Arc School in Haberfield which will receive $2.3 million for the construction of a multi-purpose hall and refurbishment of classrooms
- Christian Brothers Lewisham which will receive $2 million for refurbishment of a multi-purpose hall and playground
- St Columba’s in Leichhardt which will receive $1.1 million for the construction of a multi-purpose hall
- The John Berne School in Lewisham which will receive $250,000 for the refurbishment of a multi-purpose hall and associated works.
“It is wonderful to see our local schools and our local community benefit from the Government’s huge investment in new school buildings,” said Mr Albanese.
Construction and refurbishment work will commence as soon as possible. Many of the P21 projects planned to begin this month will provide immediate support for local jobs and communities.
Mr Albanese encouraged all local primary schools to submit applications for Round Two which closes on 15 May 2009.
“By investing in our local schools, the Rudd Government is helping to keep local contractors, tradespeople, truck drivers and small businesses working during these difficult days,” he said.
A list of successful schools and their planned projects is available at: www.buildingtheeducationrevolution.gov.au and more information about the Nation Building – Economic Stimulus Plan is available at: www.economicstimulusplan.gov.au
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.