Funding approved for south west road restoration
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
Minister for Infrastructure & Transport
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
February 12 2011
South West Queensland is on the fast track to recovery with more than $370 million approved for flood repairs to state and local government controlled roads.
Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said more than $216.9 million had been approved for the state-controlled road network through the National Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) scheme.
“More than $153 million has also been approved for restoration works on the local government road network for Maranoa Regional Council, Balonne, Bulloo, Murweh, Paroo and Quilpie shires,” he said.
NDRRA is jointly funded by the federal and state governments.
Mr Albanese said the funding approvals would provide a huge boost to South West Queensland communities, businesses, industry and local governments.
Queensland Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace said the flooding in early 2010 caused extensive damage across both the state and local government network in South West Queensland.
“After the initial flooding, my department acted quickly to carry out emergency repairs and re-open roads,” he said.
“Now we can get on with the job of doing permanent restoration work on the road network.
“Road crews in the South West have already started work on restoring the state-controlled road network and will be ramping up efforts considerably now that further NDRRA funding has been approved.
“Work crews from the six local governments, RoakTek and private contractors will be engaged in this massive task. Further submissions for NDRRA funding are now pending following flooding in November last year and January this year.”
There will be changed traffic conditions during road works but the department will seek to minimise any delays.
Motorists are urged to drive to conditions and obey all signage for their own safety and the safety of road workers.