Funding for Moree Hot Artesian Pool Complex
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 18 2010
The Rudd Labor Government will provide $3 million to redevelop the 115-year old Moree Hot Artesian Pool Complex.
I made the announcement in the ‘Spa Capital of Australia’ today with the Mayor of Moree Plains Shire Council, Cr Katrina Humphries.
This project is worth a total of $6.25 million and is expected to support 100 jobs during construction. It is also expected to support another 20 jobs over the longer term.
This is about creating jobs in the local economy today while delivering lasting benefits for the Moree community, as well as the tens of thousands of visitors to this region.
Moree is famous for its natural hot water springs and this iconic project to upgrade to the Hot Artesian Pool complex will help only add to its fame across the nation.
Data provided by the Moree Plains Shire Council shows that tourism contributes over $49 million annually to the region’s economy.
This vital upgrade is expected to include:
- upgrade of the swimming pool to a FINA Olympic standard 50-metre pool;
- redevelopment of the children’s ‘Fun Park’ area and the hydrotherapy pools;
- installation of a fitness area which will also deliver programs targeting obesity, diabetes and heart disease with a focus on Indigenous, disabled and ageing members of the community; and
- construction of an interpretive centre telling the history of the Spa Baths as well as a cafe area; and
- use of modern water re-use and heat exchange technologies.
The Council will also partner with Nindethana Aboriginal Corporation to provide training opportunities for Indigenous people during construction.
The funding is part of our Regional and Local Community infrastructure program, which is delivering a record $1 billion for nearly 5,000 projects across the nation.
Across Australia, we are building and modernising community facilities like this in partnership with local governments.
The funding is conditional upon the council formalising a contract with the Government and meeting relevant conditions.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.