Funding For North Queensland Community Infrastructure
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
March 30 2010
The Rudd Labor Government will provide nearly $2 million for 32 ready-to-go community infrastructure projects across North Queensland to support jobs in the local economy and deliver long-term benefits to communities.
Minister for Infrastructure and Local Government Anthony Albanese said that the new funding would help upgrade playgrounds, swimming pools, parks and recreation areas across North Queensland.
"From Townsville to Mount Isa, Tully to Cloncurry, and Burdekin to Richmond, we are supporting communities by building and upgrading vital local facilities.
"Importantly, these 32 projects are expected to support over 100 jobs during construction.
"We will deliver this funding to seven local governments in the region through the second round of our Regional and Local Community Infrastructure Program (RLCIP).
"Already more than 3,300 community construction projects have either been completed or are underway through the first round of this $1 billion Program.
"In North Queensland, the Rudd Government’s investments include $16.2 million for the Flinders Mall revitalisation in Townsville, $18 million for the Einasleigh River bridge project, $2.1 million for the Tully Multipurpose Centre and $4 million for the Ingham Technology and Learning Centre.
"The funding announced today will keep more people working locally to support the economy while building local infrastructure for the future.
"These projects were put forward by local governments as community priorities.
"By letting local communities decide, the Rudd Government is helping turn the community’s vision into a reality.
"Across the country the Regional and Local Community Infrastructure Program is funding local projects such as sporting fields, swimming pools, libraries, community halls, water and energy saving facilities, as well as improving elderly and disabled access.
"I expect to announce the approval of the remaining councils’ projects shortly," Mr Albanese concluded.
Townsville City Council – $452,000
- $452,000 Upgrade of environmental infrastructure at Thuringowa Civic Centre
Tablelands Regional Council – $556,000
- $30,000 Restoration of Platypus Park
- $6,000 Upgrade to the facilities at Loader Park
- $40,000 Cover replacement for Atherton pool
- $30,000 Upgrade of facilities at Lions Park, Atherton
- $20,000 Upgrade of Dimbulah swimming pool
- $30,000 Upgrade to Mareeba swimming pool fence
- $100,000 Construction of Ravenshoe recreation master plan and netball court project
- $150,000 Streetscape enhancement of regional CBDs in Tablelands Regional Council
- $100,000 Upgrade to Roscommon Park
- $50,000 Upgrade and refurbishment of Old Kuranda Primary School community centre
Charters Towers Regional Council – $310,000
- $57,388 Installation of sheltered recreation facilities at Centenary Park in Charters Towers
- $252,612 Construction of cattle friendly steel panel enclosures at Dalrymple saleyards
Cassowary Coast Regional Council – $287,000
- $24,000 Construction of a dual use walking trail in Cardwell
- $23,840 Construction of a dual use walking trail at Penning Park in Tully Heads
- $47,840 Construction of interpretive signage on the Tully Heritage Trail
- $47,840 Upgrade of recreational facilities at Taifalos Park in Kurrimine Beach
- $47,840 Upgrade of walkway infrastructure at Con O’Brien Park in East Innisfail
- $47,840 Upgrades to the Innisfail Conservatorium of Music
- $31,000 Upgrade of access and recreational facilities at Matt Cockbain Park
- $16,800 Upgrade of facilities at Goondi sports complex
Mount Isa City Council – $156,000
- $156,000 Upgrade of sewerage infrastructure in Mount Isa
Burdekin Shire Council – $122,000
- $16,250 Upgrade of playground facilities at Coutts Park playground, Burdekin
- $21,750 Upgrade of playground facilities at Alva Park playground, Alva
- $36,000 Upgrade of playground at Spiller Street Park playground, Brandon
- $48,000 Upgrade of waste management infrastructure at Alva Park, Alva
Hinchinbrook Shire Council – $87,000
- $87,000 Construction of recreational playground facilities at Jack Bonning Park, Allingham
Etheridge Shire Council – $30,000
- $30,000 Upgrade of lighting at the airport in Forsayth
Yarrabah Aboriginal Shire Council – $30,000
- $30,000 Construction of playground equipment at Beach Road Esplanade, Yarrabah
Palm Island Aboriginal Shire Council – $30,000
- $30,000 Construction of the Bwgcolman Monument on Palm Island
Cloncurry Shire Council – $30,000
- $30,000 Upgrade of the kitchen facilities at the community hall building in Cloncurry
Richmond Shire Council – $30,000
- $30,000 Upgrade of the floors of the Richmond Tourist Information Centre and Museum