Junior sports stars eligible for grants
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
March 16 2010
Anthony Albanese, Federal Member for Grayndler, today encouraged young sporting champions from the Inner West to apply for Local Sporting Champion grants.
“This is a great program for kids who could be sports stars of the future but can’t afford all the costs involved in getting to national titles,” said Mr Albanese
The grants are for $500 each and can be used to provide financial assistance towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment for junior athletes (aged 12 to 18) when competing at state or national sporting competitions. There is also one grant still available worth $3000 for a team.
General conditions of the program are:
- Be between 12 and 18 years of age (inclusive) at the time of the nominated sporting competition;
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in an official state or national level sporting competition, endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or national school sport competition;
- Be required to travel greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated NSO endorsed state or national sporting competitions, or national school sport competition;
- Be an Australian citizen;
- Must not have been the recipient of a Local Sporting Champions grant, whether as an individual or a member of a team, during the current financial year;
- Must not have received funding from other government sources for the nominated national school sport competition or NSO recognised state or national sporting competition;
- Must not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money.
Grants recipients are chosen by an independent panel comprising people from the local community with a range of backgrounds and interests.
“Organised sport is a great way for inner-city kids to improve their fitness and get some fresh air," said Mr Albanese.
For full details of the program go to: http://www.ausport.gov.au/participating/schools_and_juniors/juniors/get_involved/local_sporting_champions