Major works on the Gawler line to begin on 6 June 2010
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
May 7 2010
The start of major track works on South Australia’s biggest rail revitalisation project – the electrification of the Gawler line – is now only a month away.
Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese and South Australian Transport Minster Patrick Conlon today announced that following detailed planning and preconstruction activities, major track works on the line between Adelaide and Mawson Lakes will now start on 6 June 2010.
"This project is a great example of our Nation Building Program at work. It will put South Australians to work building the infrastructure that will make Adelaide an even better place to live and do business," said Mr Albanese.
"In fact, our decision to provide $293.5 million as part last year’s Federal Budget means this project will now be completed in 2013, two years earlier than previous scheduled.
"The upgrade of the Gawler line is part of the State and Federal government’s unprecedented $2.6 billion, decade-long investment in South Australia’s public transport infrastructure.
"Together we are working to transform the way South Australians get around, giving them a faster, cleaner option."
The multi-billion dollar upgrade of the public transport system includes electrification of the Noarlunga, Gawler and Outer Harbor lines, station infrastructure upgrades, new electric trains and a modern ticketing system.
Major track works on the Gawler line will start on 6 June with the closure of the line between Adelaide and Mawson Interchange. Works include:
- Upgrading the base layer;
- Installing new gauge-convertible concrete sleepers;
- Improving stormwater drainage;
- Refurbishing/replacing rail; and
- Connecting the new Dry Creek railcar depot to the Gawler line.
Letters and brochures detailing the timing of the works, maps and substitute bus timetables will be distributed to local residents from today.
This information also outlines those sections of the Gawler line will be closed for preliminary works:
- Thursday night, 20 May: trains will operate between Adelaide and Salisbury Interchange as per the regular timetable. From 7.30pm substitute buses will run every 20 minutes between Salisbury Interchange and Gawler Central until the last regular service.
- Friday night, 21 May: trains will operate between Salisbury Interchange and Gawler Central as per the regular time table. Substitute buses will run between Salisbury Interchange and Adelaide with the last train departing Adelaide (to Salisbury Interchange) at 9.20pm and the last train departing Salisbury Interchange (to Adelaide) at 9.26pm.
- All day on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 May: trains will operate between Salisbury Interchange and Gawler Central as per the regular timetable. Substitute buses will run between Salisbury Interchange to Adelaide.
Mr Conlon said the State Government appreciates the public’s understanding while these important works are carried out and thanks them for their patience.
"There is no doubt that these works will lead to certain disruption but we are doing everything possible to make sure all the relevant information is easily accessible," said Mr Conlon.
"We are delivering some really important projects for the State’s future and I can guarantee people that the end result is worthwhile."
Brochures detailing timing of the weekend works, maps and bus timetables are now available.
Substitute bus and temporary train timetables are also available via www.adelaidemetro.com.au or by calling 1300 311 108.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.