A Shorten Labor Government will invest in Australia’s cities to further improve their productivity, sustainability and liveability, while ensuring they are places of opportunity for everyone.
Labor will pursue a genuine partnership with local government and state governments, as well as with business and community to deliver this vision.
This includes through our City Partnerships program, which will replace the Liberals and Nationals’ ad hoc and politically motivated City Deals.
We will re-establish the Major Cities Unit within Infrastructure Australia, establish an expert panel to inform decision-making and refresh the National Urban Policy.
Labor’s plan to unlock the potential of our cities includes:
- Investing in new and expanded public transport services across our inner and outer suburbs to make it easier for people to get around, while reducing congestion and creating new jobs.
- Growing regional cities through our plan for regional development and by advancing High Speed Rail.
- Investing in a National Bike Path Strategy to encourage more people to cycle to work or school.
- Embedding a Smart Cities Agenda in our National Urban Policy and identifying new opportunities to better plan cities with the latest technology and expertise.
- Implementing a comprehensive plan to tackle housing affordability.
- Collaborating with industry and government to develop a Living Cities Strategy that considers the policy options available to the Federal Government to facilitate the preservation, enhancement and creation of green and blue infrastructure.
- Establishing an Urban Rivers Fund to restore our cities’ rivers to their natural beauty.
- Expanding the Western Sydney Deal to include Blacktown City Council through our City Partnerships program.
- Building upon the Launceston City Deal by investing $20 million in key projects through our City Partnerships program to ensure ongoing collaboration with local government, local businesses and local communities.
This election is a choice between Labor’s plan to invest in communities around Australia, or bigger tax loopholes for the top end of town under the Liberals and Nationals.
After six years of cuts and chaos under the Liberals and Nationals, our united Labor team is ready.
If you want a fair go for all Australians, vote Labor.
More information on Labor’s extensive plan for cities can be found here.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.