Anthony Albanese today welcomed the announcement of the 2011 Active After-School Communities (AASC) recipients in the electorate of Grayndler.
Active After-Schools is a Federal Government initiative to encourage children into sport and other structured physical activities after school.
Mr Albanese said nineteen local schools would share over $27,000 of funding for the program for Term 1, 2011. Local schools and after school care centres receiving funding include:
- Ashfield Public School (Ashfield MCS)
- Camdenville Public School
- Canterbury Public School (ACE BASC)
- Dobroyd Point Public School
- Dulwich Hill Public School (Camp Australia)
- Ferncourt Public School
- Haberfield Public School
- Kegworth Public School
- Leichhardt Public School
- Marrickville Public School
- Orange Grove Public School
- St Brigid’s Primary School (Marrickville MCS)
- St Joan of Arc Primary School
- St Patricks Primary School (Summer Hill MCS)
- St Paul of the Cross Primary School (Dulwich Hill MCS)
- Stanmore Public School
- Taverners Hill Infants School (Taverners Hill MCS)
- Tempe Public School
- Yeo Park Infants School
“Active After-Schools is a fantastic program for the children of the Inner West who often don’t have backyards to run around in,” said Mr Albanese.
“Program like this play a vital role in getting our children out of the lounge room and on to the sports field.
“It helps combat obesity, gives children the confidence to join sporting clubs, and maybe we’ll find some local sporting champions who wouldn’t otherwise have discovered a passion or skill for a sport they hadn’t tried before.”