Wednesday, 16 February 2005
*1 Mr Albanese: To move—That this House:
(1) notes the serious impact that the noise generated by aircraft landing at Sydney Kingsford-Smith Airport has on all residents of surrounding suburbs and all users of facilities in the area;
(2) notes, in particular, the disruptive impact of aircraft noise on students and teachers at schools in the area;
(3) acknowledges the justified expenditure on the Noise Amelioration Program in respect of schools located within the limits presently set for assistance;
(4) recognises that Sydney’s great Fort Street High School is located some 200 metres from the edge of the limit but that the impact of aircraft noise does not suddenly cease in accordance with contour lines on a map; and
(5) calls on the Minister for Transport and Regional Services to direct that assistance be provided for a noise insulation program at Fort Street High School.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.