Labor has lodged a motion for a Senate Inquiry into Qantas this afternoon. The notice of motion is below.
Notice of motion
Reference to Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee
On the next day of sitting to move –
That the following matter be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by March 27 2014:
(1) The Committee must consider what initiatives can be taken by Government to ensure Qantas remains a strong national carrier supporting aviation jobs in Australia, including:
- a debt guarantee;
- an equity stake;
- other forms of support consistent with wider policy settings.
(2) In conducting the inquiry the Committee should consider:
- any national security, skills, marketing, tourism, emergency assistance or other benefits provided by a majority Australian-owned Qantas;
- the level and forms of government support received by other international airlines operating to and from Australia;
- the ownership structures of other international airlines operating to and from Australia;
- the potential impact on Australian jobs arising from the Government’s plan to repeal Part 3 of the Qantas Sale Act; and
- any related matter.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.