Shipping Advisory Group established
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
February 16 2009
A Shipping Policy Advisory Group has been established to assist the Government prepare its official response to the Rebuilding Australia’s Coastal Shipping Industry report produced late last year by a bipartisan parliamentary committee.
The Group will review the committee’s recommendations and advise me on the initiatives necessary for revitalising Australia’s critical shipping industry.
I am very pleased such a prominent group of Australians have agreed to serve on the Advisory Group. They are:
- Colin Bailey – General Manger, Major Projects and Cornwall Coal, Cement Australia;
- Bob Bird – Chief Executive Officer, ASP Ship Management;
- Paddy Crumlin – National Secretary, Maritime Union of Australia;
- Ben Fargher – Chief Executive Officer, National Farmers Federation;
- Noel Hart – General Manager, North West Shelf Shipping Services Company;
- John Lines – Chief Executive Officer, ANL Container Line Pty Ltd;
- Peter Manion – General Manager, Operations Rio Tinto Marine;
- David Parmeter – Managing Director, Teekay Shipping;
- Grant Williams – Manager, Jebsens International;
The diversity of the Group’s membership will help to make sure the reform agenda taken forward by the Government meets the industry’s long term priorities and needs.
For a large, relatively remote island continent like Australia, the shipping industry is a gateway to overseas markets and vital to national security.
Australia depends on shipping almost exclusively for the transportation of its exports and imports. At the same time, coastal shipping fulfils almost 30 per cent of the domestic transport task.
The industry is unique, with complex linkages between domestic and international shipping and is subject to a range of regulatory obligations such as industrial relations, customs and immigration.
The previous government’s indifference led to a substantial decline in the Australian shipping industry.
The Rudd Labor Government is determined that shipping will once again fulfil its potential as a critical element to our national transport system.