South-West Queensland Roads to Receive $8 Million in Funding
The Hon Anthony Albanese MP
The Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,
Regional Development and Local Government
Leader of the House
Member for Grayndler
January 13 2010
The Rudd and Bligh Labor governments have awarded two contracts totalling $8 million to Boral Resources to reseal 405 kilometres of road in south-west Queensland.
Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said the Federal and State governments had joined forces with four of region’s councils to get this necessary work done as quickly as possible.
"This is a great example of all levels of government working together to maintain and improve the quality and safety of the region’s road network," said Mr Albanese.
"Once completed, the resealing work will protect the road surface from the wear and tear caused by environmental and traffic conditions."
The resealing program is set to commence in March and continue through until April/May, weather permitting.
Queensland Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace said the cost of establishing contractors in more remote areas like the south-west was substantial.
"There are cost savings for local government by having the Department of Transport and Main Roads manage the tender process," Mr Wallace said.
"Resealing involves spraying bitumen over existing sealed roads, and then applying a surfacing layer of evenly sized stone. This process helps to prevent cracking, maintain a watertight seal over the road and provide a suitable surface for tyres to grip the road."
The state-controlled roads scheduled to be resealed include sections of:
- Diamantina Developmental Road (Charleville-Quilpie);
- Quilpie-Thargomindah Road;
- Bulloo Developmental Road (Cunnamulla to Thargomindah);
- Bulloo Developmental Road (Thargomindah to Bundeena);
- Landsborough Highway (Morven to Augathella);
- Landsborough Highway (Augathella to Tambo);
- Warrego Highway (Morven to Charleville);
- Mitchell Highway (Cunnamulla to Charleville);
- Balonne Highway (Bollon to Cunnamulla);
- Hungerford Road;
- Cooper Developmental Road (Quilpie to Bundeena);
- Carnarvon Highway (St George to Surat);
- Barwon Highway (Talwood to Nindigully);
- Mitchell-St George Road;
- Moonie Highway (Dalby to St George);
- Balonne Highway (St George to Bollon);
- Castlereagh Highway (St George to Hebel);
- Roma-Taroom Road;
- Carnarvon Highway (Surat to Roma);
- Carnarvon Highway (Roma to Injune); and
- Jackson-Wandoan Road.
Leader of the Australian Labor Party, MP for Grayndler, Rabbitohs Life Member. Authorised by Anthony Albanese, ALP, Canberra.