Aug 7, 2012

Renmark intersection upgrades now complete

Renmark motorists can now benefit from a safer and more efficient journey with a series of intersection upgrades on Renmark Avenue.

Senator for South Australia, Senator Anne McEwen, representing Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Anthony Albanese, at the opening ceremony today, said the intersection upgrades had been carried out to reduce delays, enable greater capacity and address the adverse crash history at that section of road.

“We expect that by 2030 around 14,000 vehicles will travel Renmark Avenue daily, including about 800 commercial vehicles, so by upgrading these intersections the Federal and South Australian Labor governments are planning ahead to avoid congestion affecting productivity.

“The upgrades also improve road safety at a section where 24 crashes were recorded between 2007 and 2011 – seven causing injury and one fatal accident on 23rd Street – these figures are unacceptably high and that is why the Government invested in these works.

“This is a perfect example of how Federal Labor’s Nation Building Program is building the infrastructure we need today for a safer and more productive future,” said Senator McEwen.

South Australian Minister for Transport, Patrick Conlon, said the works included a new roundabout at the intersection of Renmark Avenue and 18th Street, realignment of the Renmark Avenue median and southbound carriageway at 21st Street and the installation of a new right turn lane in the Renmark Avenue median north of 23rd Street.

“The upgrades are expected to result in a 20 per cent reduction in crashes at the Renmark Avenue-20th Street junction, up to a 70 per cent reduction in right angle crashes at the 18th and 21st Street junctions and near complete elimination of rear-end crashes at the 23rd Street intersection junction,” he said.

The $5.46 million project was jointly funded by the Federal Labor Government and the SA Government.